Homemade Peach Ice Cream

This recipe assumes that you have an ice cream maker.  I love mine, which is made by Aroma, and has both a mechanical and a hand crank.  It also has a old fashioned wooden bucket, and a 2 quart container. This recipe has been modified, tested, etc., and I think it is a finished work of art.  Personally, (and of course all  of this blog is personal:) I like my peaches to have some chunks, and have the peach flavor be overwhelming, so this is the finished tested recipe.First off, there is such a thing as “ice cream” peaches. They are peaches that are getting soft and probably by the next day would be bad.  However, if you peel them, they are very sweet.  Start with 10 ice cream peaches, and peel, and cut in chunks.  Pour a cup of sugar on them and let sit for at least an hour.  If they are regular peaches (and not “ice cream” peaches), let sit for at least TWO hours.There is a fun chemical reaction that happens when you do this.  There will be a softening of the peaches, and they will expel all their juice. Mush up about 70% of the peaches in a blender or pulverize somehow and reserved.  The other 30% should be chopped up in little chunks and reserved.

So now we have two reserved types of peaches.  The mush and the little chunks in separate bowls.  Ok.  Let’s begin.

In a pot, add 1 1/2 cups of sugar, a pinch of salt and 2 tablespoons of flour to bind. Beat 3 eggs in separate bowl, and add to pot.  Heat GENTLY and only until the sugar dissolves. We do not want scrambled eggs!!  Take off stove, and put in large container. Add 2 cups of heavy cream, 1 cup of half & half, and 3 cups of milk, the peach mush and the peach chunks.  Put in the refrigerator for 2 hours.

When it is good and cold, process in your ice cream maker.  I do 40 minutes on the electric crank, and 5-10 minutes with the hand roated crank to make it more creamy.

This is the best ice cream I have ever had.  Lots of peachy taste!  Enjoy.

Advertisements

One thought on “Homemade Peach Ice Cream

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s